About Us

About Us

The cave Strašna peć (Frightful furnace) is an intersting tourist, ecological and historical destination, situated near Savar on Dugi otok, next to the Nature park Telašcica and National park Kornati. The first speological research took place in the 1900., when the cave was opened for visitors and tourists. Due to it`s fascinating beauty, even the Austro-Hungarian emporer Franz Joseph visited it in 1904.

Strašna peć has a 10m wide and 7m tall monumental entrance, where among joined stalactites and stalagmites nature created the space like the gothic cathedral arches. The thrilling picturesque first hall will suprise you, and the whole cave has the romantic touch.

Peacefulness and concordance of the island`s scenery in the symbiosis with blue Adriatic sea and attractive thrilling beauty of Strašna peć will give yuo an unbeliveable experience for ever to remember.

Find out the harmony of the creation of nature...visit the cave Strašna peć near Savar on Dugi otok!

Personal Info

vlado

Working Time

  • FROM 01.JUL TILL 31.AUG  EVERY DAY FROM 10.30.-14.30.h and 15.30.-19.30.h
  • FROM 01.JUN TILL 30 JUN and FROM 01.SEP TILL 15.SEP  EVERY WEDNESDAY FROM 10.30.-14.30.h and 15.30.-19.30.h
  • ALSO WE ARE WORKING ON REQUEST

How to Find Us

It is located in the central part of the island in the area of Savar on the outside "Kulaf" in the valley between the hills Šišlovica (275 m altitude) and Veli vrh (328 m altitude) at 65 m altitudeand 150 m from the sea. The entrance of the cave faces the southeast. It is connected to the access road to the main road of Dugi otok.

Contact

If you have any questions, please give us a call or send us an email

Savar

The place Savar is overwhelming at first sight: on an islet in a quiet bay, connected with the rest of the place by a causeway, is a pre-Romanesque church of St. Peregrine, a worldwide cultural heritage monument. There used to be the monastery of St. Anthony the Abbot in Savar, it was abandoned during the 16th century.

Near the place is the famous cave Strašna Peć, the site of the first organized tourist destination in this region, which in 1904 was visited by the Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz Joseph. Savar is also known for the exploitation of stone that was used for the construction of the Zadar Forum, palaces and churches in Rome and Venice and the UN building in New York.

Description

Entering the cave do not touch anything, do not break anything, do not disturb the peace. On leaving take only strong impression, and leave only footprints in the cave...

Legend about the origin of the cave

Once upon a time while Dugi otok was long as today, and possibly longer, the fairies have agreed to divide the island into two parts at its narrowest point. They dug and dug, but it is in this work they found Dawn. And so they remained trapped in the cave unfinished work, Strašna Peć remained as evidence of the intentions of the fairy ... It is known that at the entrance to the cave in ancient times frequented by local fishermen and shepherds without going into the depth of the cave because they believed that live there ghosts and witches who were afraid, while others are believed to live there peteroščići and therefore her name was called Strašna peć.

The history of the cave

Cave terrible furnace was first mentioned back in 1898 in Zadar's weekly "Il Dalmata" (D'una grotteconoscuita sull Isola Lunga). The cave is among the first to open in Croatia (open for visitors in the spring in 1900) which is associated with the work of the first Croatian Speleological Society "Liburnija" from Zadar (1899). A few years later the cave was described by Dr. Luka Jelic in "Illustrierte Österreich riviera zeitg". That article cave was popularized so they started visiting many tourists.

That is indeed a valuable site, confirmed by the fact that it was visited by Emperor Franz Joseph in 1904, just before closing. Perhaps the closure helped by the fact that during the visit of Princess Zita broke her leg. Reference is also made a visit to the British royal family (the famous Prince Edward and Miss Simpson). The cave is mentioned and D. Hirc in the book "Natural geography Croatian" fascinated "wild and terrible romance".

1930. Josip Poljak performed a geomorphological research while Mirko Malez said that visitors intoxicated her beauty finding the harmony of creation, and that the "terrible" as it's called. The first plan of the cave was made in 1930 and amended in 1953. During World War I was devastated and closed for visitors 17 June 2000 as part of the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the first opening of the cave Strašna peć as well as the establishment of a mountaineering association "Liburnija" from Zadar 1899.godine which is part of its activities had caving department, Vladimir Šarunić from Savar in conjunction with PTD "Liburnija" organized by the arrival of journalists and speleologists in a cave Strašna peć works its media campaign and re-decorating and opening. Vladimir Šarunić was aware of the lack of care about this valuable geomorphological, ecological, historical and tourist destination and has invested great efforts to breathe life into this cave. Three years later he organized a professional expeditions Speleological Society "Dinarides" from Zagreb, and at the invitation of the Director of Public Institution for management of protected parts of nature in Zadar County Mirko Đinđić. The cave is caving examined and topographically surveyed and developed program of sightseeing and visiting the cave with the protection.

In May 2006, Vladimir Šarunić their own expense regulates cave in accordance with the Project of protection, use, maintenance and promotion of the cave which was developed Mountaineering Club "Dinarides" from Zagreb, whose team of cavers led by Tihomir Kovacic conducted thorough research and taking photographs.

July 5, 2007, after 107 years of its first opening, re-decorated and open to visitors thanks to Vladimir Šarunić from Savar, owner of TO "Samotvorac" in order to continue living cave Strašna peć, re-approaching the public and its protection for the future.

Translate »